Tuesday 12 June 2007

River Irwell Poem

Have been doing some reading lately about the River Irwell, and it has struck me how far it has come since the 1970s. A walk along it around Peel Park in Salford on a warm summer day is fantastic! Its the first time I have done this for almost a decade and I was stunned at how nature has took back great swaths of river bank, especially around Salford cresent. I hope the planners and developers take this into consideration when working there.

In my research about the river I found a poem from before the Industrial revolution it's funny to think how we have almost come almost full circle...


"Behold, behold with wondrous eyes
the towering hills that reach the skies
the fertile plain and vale below
where the lovely streams of Irwell flow.

No comments: